1 a sharp vibrating sound (as of a plucked string)
2 exaggerated nasality in speech (as in some regional dialects) [syn: nasal twang]
1 cause to sound with a twang; "He twanged the guitar string"
2 sound with a twang; "the bowstring was twanging"
3 twitch or throb with pain
4 pluck (strings of an instrument); "He twanged his bow"
5 pronounce with a nasal twang
- twăng, /twæŋ/, /tw
Twang could refer to:
- Twang! - a British musical produced and directed by Lionel Bart
- The Twang, an indie rock band from Birmingham.
- Twang (band), an indie band from Manchester
- A brand of flavored salt, based in San Antonio
- Another name for alt-country music. Notable bands include Uncle Tupelo, Slim Cessna's Auto Club, Strawfoot and the Monads
- A mild accent, for example a southern twang. See also drawl)
- In poetic terms, as a piece of onomatopoeia (for example, describing certain sounds, such as a guitar being plucked and make a "twang", or elastic bands being stretched and released to make a distinctive "twang")
- A ringing vocal quality caused by a narrowing of the aryepiglottic sphincter
- A term used by NASA scientists to describe the forward jolt of a space shuttle when its SSME main engines ignite just before launch
- A character in the game Mech Quest
- An irregular taste.
- Twang (game), a physics game from Nitrome.
twang in German: Twang
accent, aphonia, artificial voice, bark, bawl, belch, bellow, blare, blat, blubber, boom, bray, breathe, broad accent, brogue, broken speech, broken tones, broken voice, burr, buzz, cackle, caw, chant, childish treble, chirp, chirr, choked voice, clang, clangor, clank, clash, coo, cracked voice, craunch, croak, crow, crump, crunch, dash, drawl, dysarthria, dyslalia, dyslogia, dysphasia, dysphonia, dysphrasia, exclaim, falsetto, flute, gasp, grind, groan, growl, grumble, grunt, harshness, hawking voice, hiss, hoarseness, idioglossia, idiolalia, impairment of speech, intimation, jangle, jar, keen, lilt, lisp, lisping, loss of voice, mumble, murmur, mutter, muzzy speech, nasal tone, nasalization, pant, pick, pipe, pluck, plunk, quaver, rasp, regional accent, roar, rumble, scranch, scrape, scratch, scream, screech, scrunch, shade, shake, shriek, sibilate, sibilation, sigh, sing, snap, snarl, snore, snort, snuffle, sob, speech defect, speech impediment, squall, squawk, squeal, streak, strum, suspicion, sweep the strings, thrum, thunder, tinge, touch, trace, tremor, trumpet, wail, warble, whiff, whine, whisper, yap, yawp, yell, yelp